After taking 2 weeks off from soapmaking, I got back in the kitchen today to make some more! I took my first recipe and tweaked it a little bit, in order to make it slightly larger and to switch out the sunflower oil for something new! I like trying new things. :)
So what is new this time, you ask? Well, I decided to try using walnut oil, I added peppermint leaf flakes, and used peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils.
The ingredients for this recipe are as follows: olive oil, coconut oil, palm oil, walnut oil, castor oil, water, lye, peppermint essential oil, eucalyptus essential oil, peppermint flakes, titanium dioxide, and green chrome oxide.
As you can see from my ingredients, this soap will be 100% natural!
After I added my lye water to my oils (which had titanium dioxide mixed in to whiten my soap), I waited until I got to light trace and added my peppermint essential oil. Then I added in my peppermint flakes for some texture.
I then took about 60-70% of my mixture (rough estimate) and poured it into my loaf mold.
With the mixture I had left over in my bowl, I added green chrome oxide and eucalyptus essential oil. It sort of turned a much more radioactive green than what I was going for... I'm hoping it will make a nice contrast. :)
Then I poured my green mixture on top of the white mixture and I stuck my spatula into there and tried to swirl it. (I've never tried this before and to be honest, I'm not even sure that I did it right) We'll see what happens when I unmold it, I'm hoping it turns out really cool! Then I sprinkled peppermint flakes on top for that added finishing touch. :)
Check back on Wed. when I will be popping this bad-boy out of the mold! :-)